PHOTO: Tonia Sellers, designer and owner of art company Clever Clogs, is one of many Franklin creatives. She is seen here at Pilgrimage in September 2017. / Brooke Wanser
By BROOKE WANSER
The Davidson County, Murfreesboro and Franklin areas have been collectively ranked No. 2 on the top ten list of best places for creatives in 2018, in a list released by personal finance technology company SmartAsset this week.
Salt Lake City, Utah, nabbed the top spot for a cost of living 6 percent lower than the national average and over 7,500 creatives working in the area. The majority of those people are employed in graphic design.
In Franklin and the surrounding area, 8,700 people are employed in creative occupations. Most are musicians, with graphic designers coming in a close second.
The personal finance company analyzed 181 metropolitan areas for concentration of creatives and cost of living.
Here is the full list:
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, Tennessee
- Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, Arkansas-Missouri
- Lincoln, Nebraska
- South Bend-Mishawaka, Indiana-Michigan
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, California
- Grand Rapids-Wyoming, Michigan
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa
- (tie) Green Bay, Wisconsin
- (tie) Kalamazoo-Portage, Michigan
Researchers identified Midwest areas scored higher due to lower costs of living while coastal areas scored lower. They also noted the high incidence of graphic designers within creative spheres across all areas.
For more information on the list, click here.