ABOVE: A 2017 rendering of the future Carter House Visitors Center . // FILE
TENNESSEE WARS COMMISSION
The Tennessee Wars Commission and Tennessee Historical Commission have announced the approval of a $50,000 grant to assist the Battle of Franklin Trust in the design and purchase of museum exhibit displays for the new Carter House State Historic Site Visitors Center in Franklin.
The state legislature in 2017 approved $3.1 million to build a new visitor center for the Carter House to replace the visitor center built in 1981. According to the plan, a new 4,000-square-foot building will house a museum, gift shop, offices, meeting room, and public restrooms. Contractors would tear the current visitors center down.
The Tennessee Wars Commission Grant Fund provides support for protecting and interpreting Tennessee’s historic military sites ranging from the French and Indian War
through the American Civil War era.
In addition to the Carter House grant, approved projects are a $15,000 grant will fund new interpretive replica Civil War-era artillery equipment at Johnsonville State Historic Park; $48,800 was awarded to Parkers Crossroads Battlefield in Henderson County for the purchase of a replica Civil War artillery caisson and limber and wayside signage, a grant of $1,810 to help fund interpretive panels and supplies through which Alvin C York State Historic Park in Pall Mall can further interpret the impact of the Civil War in the Wolf River Valley.
A division of the Tennessee Historical Commission, the Tennessee Wars Commission has funded more than 100 different projects preserving, protecting, and interpreting
the military heritage of Tennessee and Tennesseans since 1994.
For more information about the Tennessee Wars Commission, visit tnhistoricalcommission.org or call THC office: 615-770-1097.